We have had a bag of dried lentils in our pantry for a few months. We usually use them for soup or burgers but I decided to try something new tonight…a “meatloaf” made of lentils, steel-cut oats, and rolled oats. It was pretty easy to make and definitely delicious!
Lentil & Oat “Meatloaf”
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ketchup + 3 tablespoons for topping
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or other nut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper optional
- In a medium saucepan, add the lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and turn the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add the steel-cut oats and cup of boiling water. Cover again and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a glass loaf pan with a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- When the lentils and steel-cut oats are cooked, remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to the loaf pan. Top with 3 tablespoons of ketchup.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow loaf to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.