My family loves baked beans. We have the canned version often but today I decided to make them myself with the Instant Pot!
- 1 lb dried Great Northern Beans, sorted and rinsed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Sort beans and remove any foreign material. Rinse thoroughly. Transfer to a medium saucepan and cover in an inch of water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, allow beans to cook for one minute, then remove from heat and soak, covered, for at least one hour. Drain and rinse after soaking.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add olive oil. Sauté onion and bell pepper until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Turn off Instant Pot and stir in 2 cups water and the beans.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Add to the beans and stir well.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set to sealing. Use the manual setting, high pressure, and set timer for 45 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for at least 15 minutes.
- When pressure is released, remove lid and stir before serving.