We have had some warm weather lately in southern Alabama so I decided to try a seafood substitute last night to go with our leftover wild rice soup. I did not have any seaweed or kelp to add to them this time. They would probably taste closer to actual crab with seaweed but my husband and I both loved them without it. I will try again later with the seaweed and give an update on how they turn out.
Here is the recipe:
Hearts of Palm “Crab” Cakes
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (save 4 tbsp of the liquid)
- 2 14oz cans hearts of palm
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I used Slap Ya Mama)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cups bread crumbs, plus more to coat the cakes
- Place the chickpeas and hearts of palm in a blender or food processor and pulse until crumbled. You can also use a fork or just your hands to mash them.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the reserved liquid from the chickpeas and whisk until froth forms on the surface. Add the vegan mayo, lemon juice, mustard, and soy sauce. Stir in the seasonings.
- Add the onion, breadcrumbs, and the chickpeas and hearts of palm. Stir gently to combine.
- Cover the bowl and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread bread crumbs on a plate or a sheet of parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into patties approximately 2 inches in diameter. You should have 10-12 patties. Coat both sides in bread crumbs.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large skillet. Add patties and cook each side for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat.
- We served ours with malt vinegar but vegan tartar sauce would work well also.