Usually when we have rice with our meal, I cook it in its own pot and cook some beans or veggies separately to go with the rice. This time I decided to make risotto, which involves cooking the rice with broth to add flavor and cooking everything in one pan. I sautéed asparagus and mushrooms before adding the rice. It was delicious and the cleanup was so easy!
Here is the recipe:
Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto
- 1 bunch of asparagus, washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 12 oz white mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the asparagus pieces and cook 3-5 minutes, until the asparagus softens.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, wine, garlic and onion powders, and Italian seasoning. Cook until the mushrooms soften.
- Add the rice and stir for a minute.
- Slowly add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir frequently and allow the rice to absorb most of the broth before adding more. This should take about 4-5 minutes for each 1/2 cup of broth.
- When the last of the broth is added, stir in the nutritional yeast. Continue to stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.