This recipe has become a regular in our monthly rotation. The burgers are easy to make and the ingredients are very inexpensive. If we are hungry, my husband and I each have 2 burgers per meal, but this recipe makes 8 large burgers, so we can look forward to having them again the next day! Our son loves them too. We usually make these pinto beans but you can use any type of bean that you want to or that you already have in your pantry.
Here is the recipe:
Pinto Bean & Oat Burgers
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans or 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Sauté onion and garlic 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain the beans and mash them in a large bowl. Add oats, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, onion mixture, and spices. Mix well.
- Form into 8 patties and cook in olive oil, 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned.