My family has been eating a lot of bread lately, as a side with almost every meal. We have also had too many interruptions to our running routine, between weather and a bad cold that took the whole family out for days. We decided to look for some different healthy options for side dishes to help us get back in shape before the holidays. We had these zucchini boats with split pea soup and fruit. My husband and I both loved these, and I am not usually a fan of zucchini! Bread crumbs are not the same as bread, right?
Here is the recipe:
- 5 medium zucchini
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup vegan bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash the zucchini, remove the stem, and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Brush with olive oil and place zucchini cut side down on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- While zucchini is baking, mix the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl.
- Remove zucchini from the oven and turn over. Fill each with the bread crumb mixture, about one heaping tablespoon per zucchini half.
- Return to oven for 8-10 minutes, until bread crumbs are brown and crisp.
- Serve right away or allow them to cool to room temperature.