Mexican-style meals are a favorite in our house, as you have probably discovered by now. We bought frozen cauliflower rice from Sam’s Club and we had one bag left. My husband and I both had hard runs planned for yesterday so we wanted a meal that would be filling but also nutritious and not too heavy on calories. A cold front came through yesterday so the spice in this meal was just enough to warm us up.
Here is the recipe:
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 each red, yellow, and green bell pepper, sliced
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp fajita seasoning
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until it begins to brown.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the peppers.
- When peppers begin to soften, add the mushrooms to the skillet. Saute until they begin to soften.
- Pour in the tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add the spices and adjust as needed. Continue to cook on low heat until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- You can add the frozen cauliflower rice and cook until it is heated or prepare the cauliflower separately and top it with the veggies. We prepared them separately. Homemade cauliflower rice would taste even better but the frozen option is perfect for a busy weeknight.